of Understanding' between Iran and Sharjah
Neither Iran nor Sharjah will
give up its claim to Abu Musa nor recognize the other's claim.
Against this background the following arrangements will be made:
1. Iranian troops will arrive in Abu Musa. They will occupy areas
the extent of which have been agreed on the map attached to this
2. (a) Within the agreed areas occupied by Iranian troops, Iran
will have full jurisdiction and the Iranian flag will fly.
(b) Sharjah will retain full jurisdiction over the remainder of
the island. The Sharjah flag will continue to fly over the
Sharjah police post on the same basis as the Iranian flag will
fly over the Iranian military quarters.
3. Iran and Sharjah recognize the breadth of the island's
territorial sea as twelve nautical miles.
4. Exploitation of the petroleum resources of Abu Musa and the
sea bed and subsoil beneath its territorial sea will be conducted
by Buttes Gas & Oil Company under the existing agreement,
which must be acceptable to Iran. Half the governmental oil
resources hereafter attributable to the said exploitation shall
be paid direct by the Company to Iran and half to Sharjah.
5. The nationals of Iran and Sharjah shall have equal rights to
fish in the territorial sea of Abu Musa.
6. A financial assistance agreement will be signed between Iran
Back to top